This role serves as the leader of the HR Team in Clearwater Paper’s most diversified manufacturing and pulping process facility; this role directly leads 2 – 4 HR Professionals and is part of a 5 person HR/Payroll team leading business and union mill operations for a 1,200+ person worksite. This role is the key business partner for the Mill Manager and senior members of the mill operations and leadership team. The HR Manager’s key focus areas include but are not limited to driving business goals and capabilities to deliver company operational and strategic objectives, supporting and coaching operations leadership team in developing the organization, be a strategic change agent across multiple departments represented by 4 distinct collective bargaining groups; and building relations among key stakeholders both within the bargaining groups and among the operations leadership teams.
- Direct and lead team of HR and Payroll professionals; focusing on building individual and team functional expertise and business acumen.
- Provide clear leadership through understanding of key financial and operational business metrics and monitoring shifting trends to remain competitive within industry.
- Advise and assist the HR team in problem solving and with business strategies; fostering collaboration among the site team and company HR Community.
- Ensure leadership culture and coaching for performance success is cascaded throughout the mill; demonstrating behaviors consistent with company values of Character, Collaboration, Communication, and Commitment
- Provide subject matter expert advice and coaching to employees and managers where appropriate.
- Change management champion and leader with strong emphasis on operations and productivity improvements through continuous process improvement implementations: TPM, Kaizen, Lean Work streams
- Strategic partner with mill leadership team to accomplish business objectives by helping identify, prioritize, and build organizational capabilities, behaviors, structures, and processes.
- Integrate and implement HR value-added elements of Company multiyear strategic plans
- Coordinate and monitor all compensation and benefit systems and practices, ensuring they are within corporate guidelines and Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBAs).
- Ensure the facility is in compliance with the state and federal laws and regulations relating to human resources. Coordinate responses to any complaint or charge.
- Coordinate all human resources related legal activity with Corporate Legal and outside counsel as necessary.
- Provide day to day leadership serving as a resource and point of contact to management and employees on issues that arise by consistently interpreting, applying and administering company policies and labor contracts.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with various labor unions.
- Primary point of contact for bargaining unit(s) and operations leadership.
- Facilitate decisions insuring consistent interpretation and application of collective bargaining agreements, including timely resolution of employee complaints and grievances.
- Ensure the appropriate steps to be taken to correct unacceptable employee behaviour in a firm, fair and consistent manner
- Responsible for ensuring managers and supervisors are trained in and understand the CBA(s) and all processes around managing a union workforce; coach leadership and management team to proactively manage complaints to minimize labor disputes
- Collaborate with site senior leadership team on Talent Management programs (Succession Planning, Personal & Location Development, Performance Management, Talent Acquisition, Employee Engagement, etc).
- Utilize and reinforce following established talent acquisition process and tools in order to provide and develop the diverse talent pipeline for both the short and medium term needs across the Mill while managing costs and improving time to fill; collaborates with Talent Acquisition Partner on strategy for targeted roles.
- Ensure organization talent movement including transfers, promotions, terminations, and compensation adjustments are aligned with guidelines and processed in a timely manner